Nepal police is yet to launch investigations into the deaths of eight Indian tourists as they are waiting for the final autopsy report.
Eight Kerala tourists had died on January 21 while staying at a Daman hotel, overnight use of an LPG heater in their hotel room is belived to be the cause of their deaths.
Suffocation due to carbon monoxide is being thought as the reason for the deaths though the final autopsy report is stlill awaited.
The tourists who had stopped at Daman, in the Makwanpur district on their way back from Pokhara to catch a flight back to India were put up at the Everest Panorama Resort.
Senior Superintendent of Police (Makawanpur District Police) Sushil Singh Rathaur disclosed that any penal action against the hotel staff could only be taken on the basis of the final autopsy report.
The Department of Forensic Science, Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital had done an initial autopsy in which it stated carbon monoxide poisoning as the ‘the most likely cause of death’. The organisation has also provided death certificates to family members of the deceased stating the same.
Meanwhile the Department of Tourism, Nepal has formed a five-member committee to probe whether the tourists perished due to lapses on the part of the hotel’s management.
The 8 deceased tourists included 4 children, they have been have been identified as Praveen Krishnan Nair, his wife Saranya, their children Sreebhadra, Aarcha and Abhinav, Renjith Kumar, his wife Indu and son Vaishnav. They were part of a group of 15 tourists who had travelled to Nepal last week.