Cyclone ‘Fani’ has intensified into a ‘severe cyclonic storm’ and is on its way to the Odisha coast. Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) warned that Cyclone ‘Fani’ could take the shape of an ‘extremely severe cyclone’ by May 1.
The government has made preparations to meet any eventuality the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and the Indian Coast Guard have been put on high alert.
The Eastern Naval Command also has assumed high degree of preparedness to render humanitarian assistance if the need arises. As per the Navy’s preparations naval ships at Visakhapatnam and Chennai are standing-by and ready to reach the affected areas on short notice. Even fishermen have been told not to venture into the sea. Besides Odisha cyclone Fani is likely to hit Sri lLanka, Tamil Nadu as well.
National Disaster Management Authority has issued an advisory to people:
– Ignore rumors and stay calm and not to panic
– Keep mobile phones charged to ensure connectivity
– Stay updated on the weather through radio, TV, newspapers
– Make an emergency kit which includes essential items for safety and survival
– Cattle and animals should also be united
– Fishermen must avoid venturing out into sea
– Electrical mains must be switched off
– Consume boiled and chlorinated
– Avoid entering damaged houses during and after the cyclone